Sunday 27 June 2010

How to play Scrabble and Lexulous

For First Berlin, a great place to work with plenty of time to play Lexulous, read The Guardian and watch YouTube.

Playing Scrabble or its unofficial online version Lexulous is highly addictive and fun. But the fun should be in the drive to win at all costs. Here are a few pointers:

Try to always make at least two words per move, i.e. sticking your letters on the end or parallel to an existing word.

Avoid placing a vowel next to a big bonus tile, this guy can explain why:


Regarding Scrabble, you should only place obscure two-letter words if you know their meaning, otherwise you will just fustrate other opponents by insisting it is a word without being able to define it. This is irrelevant for Lexulous as the two-letter word list is provided. Remember "pi" is the number used to calculate the ratio of a circle and "do, re, mi, fa, so, la, and ti" are the notes of the major scale in Western music.

Think about tile management, you do not want to end up with vowelitis (all vowels) or only consonants. If you have three 'I's and one 'A' and you have the option to play dib or dab; play dib you flid.

Playing Lexulous you should never cheat by using an anagram finder or word generator and, while there may be opponents who will use them, there is no point getting paranoid. Just believe in the decency of others that when you host a table and specifically state that you do not want to play someone who uses a word generator they will comply.

This is what happens when people get too paranoid:

Linda S: since when is zo a word?????
Kaesetorte: its been in the two letter list for as long as i can remember, za and zo
Linda S: only on your board, not on any others that I have played, you sure know how to manipulate the board, if that's the only way you can win, then go for it
Kaesetorte: have you only ever played US list, this is UK english. I don't know how to manipulate the board

Later, after she apologises and rematches me with the US dictonary, I twist the knife a little further, just to ensure she realises what a fucked-up jessie she has been:

Kaesetorte: sorry but i don't play US list, not used to it, much like you with UK. Two nations divided by a common language maybe. You seem to be a fiery woman so don't get too angry at me for deleting, feel free to rematch me anytime on UK list.
Linda S: Thank you for your comments. You are correct I am not familiar with the UK list as I am new to the game. I will be sure that when I join a table to be more aware of what game they are playing. I am not angry at all and hope you accept my apology. Would like to try the UK version soon.
Kaesetorte: anytime linda. stay safe and have fun with the tiles :)

Finally, look at this:


Paula and Louise are R-tards. Not because they have incredibly suck-arse low ratings and are clearly plain stupid, but because they actually think someone with a similarly arse-suck rating would use a word generator. It is nigh on impossible to have such a low rating and cheat.

Notice that Brent and Lee are looking to chat, flirt, etc. No explaination for that, sorry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

for some reason i can't play scrabble I send the game to my opponent and she sends it back but I don't receive it have called my anti virus provider and my internet provider and they have tried to be very helpful but I still can't receive the game from my opponent.